This International Women’s Day, we #ChooseToChallenge current structures and beliefs that do not support equality and inclusivity.
As GWNET, we firmly believe that the equal participation of women in the energy transition is not only a human right, but a critical step towards meeting the ambitious targets we’ve set for our sustainable future.
We believe that diverse perspectives, experiences, and talents should be prioritised around the world.
That’s why in honour of the day where we champion and celebrate the rights, achievements, and equal participation of women, we’re excited to share our advocacy, networking, and mentoring opportunities in support of a just and gender-equal energy transition.
We hope that you can join us on this exciting journey.
Energising Women to Advance the Energy Transition: Call for Applications are Now Open
In partnership with GIZ and on behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy (BMWi), we are excited to launch a mentoring programme across select countries under the German bilateral energy partnerships.
The newly launched mentoring programme “Energising Women to Advance the Energy Transition” aims to advance the careers of mid-career women working in the energy transition, in:
- MENA (Algeria, Jordan, Morocco, Saudi Arabia, Tunisia),
- LAC (Brazil, Chile, Mexico),
- Ethiopia & South Africa,
- India, as well as
Learn more about the programme here. Applications are open until 28th March 2021.
We are also looking for senior professionals working in the energy sector to serve as mentors and support the personal and professional development of participants. If you are interested in volunteering as a mentor (which involves approx. 1 – 1.5 hours of engagement per month), kindly fill-in the Mentor Datasheet.
Celebrating Women in Wind
In 2020, Women in Wind (a joint initiative by the Global Wind Energy Council and GWNET) and IRENA jointly published “Wind energy: A gender perspective,” a landmark study showing that women make up only 21% of the global wind energy workforce, with only 8% of senior management roles held by women.
With these statistics in mind, we launched applications for the third edition of the Women in Wind Global Leadership Program in January 2021, with the aim to accelerate the careers of women in the wind industry, facilitate empowerment and career development through training, mentorship, and knowledge-sharing as well as foster a global network of professionals in the industry.
Gender Equality in the Energy Transition: Webinars & Events
We’ll be taking part in different webinars and events over the next few weeks. Join us as we lead critical discussions on women’s participation in the energy transition.
- 8 March 2021: Gender Equality for an Inclusive Energy Transition: Women Leading the Way in Solar Energy (16:30 GMT+4)
- 10 March 2021: Empowering Women of ASEAN as the Key Player of a Just Energy Transition (14:00 GMT +7)
- 10 March 2021: Role of Women in Building an Energy Conscious Society (14:30 – 16:00 Dhaka)
- 11 March 2021: Solar Energy Engineering Networking Session (17:30 – 19:30 CET)
- 12 March 2021: Women in the Energy Transition – Panama (9:00 GMT -5)
- 15 March 2021: Virtual Networking Event for National/Regional Women in Energy Networks (14:30 – 16:00 CET; by invitation only)
- 16 March 2021: Empower Women, Energize the World (10:00 – 11:30 EST)
- 16 March 2021: Berlin Energy Transition Dialogue: Women’s Networking Lunch – Empowering Women in the Energy Transition (13:00 – 15:00 CET)
- 18th March 2021: BETD Media Fellows – Connecting Journalists Conference (9:00 – 19:00 CET)
- 25th March 2021: Women in Renewable Energy in Africa (W-REA) Launch (17:00 – 18:30 GMT+3)
We encourage you to also share these activities with your network – we need your continued support if we are to bridge the gender gap in the energy sector.
Happy International Women’s Day!