Date: March 17th, 2023
Location: Online (13:15 CET)
Description: Under the Gender Energy Compact, the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO), ENERGIA International Network on Gender and Sustainable Energy, GWNET, and Sustainable Energy for All (SEforALL), co-hosted a side event titled “Sustainable energy innovation – Powering gender equity” on the occasion of the sixty-seventh session of the Commission on the Status of Women (CSW 67).
The session highlighted the leading role of women in energy technology innovation and elaborated on the following questions:
- “What are the current challenges that women and girls face in sustainable energy and what are some of the success stories we can learn from and what is the role of education?
- How can technological innovation empower women in the sustainable energy sector? What are the benefits of sustainable energy technology for gender equality and women’s empowerment?”
Speakers during this session included:
- Ralf Bredel, Director & Representative of UNIDO to the United Nations in New York
- Anna Pála Sverrisdóttir, Counsellor at the Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Iceland
- Anita Otubu, Senior Director at the Universal Energy Facility, SEforALL
- Shazia Khan, CEO of EcoEnergy
- Eduarda Oliveira Zoghbi, Senior Advisor at Student Energy
- Katherine Lucey, Founder and CEO of Solar Sister
- Kanika Chawla, Director and Chief of Staff at SEforALL