Date: April 6th, 2023
Location: Online (14:00 CEST)
Description: The webinar “Addressing the Gender Dimensions of Clean Energy Transitions” was organised as part of the IEA’s people-centred clean energy transitions webinar series, with the aim to “discuss the numerous gender dimensions and questions at the heart of the transition of our energy systems.”
The event at which GWNET Senior Advisor Irene Giner-Reichl participated as a panellist, aimed to address the following:
- What is the state of the art of research about the gendered impacts of clean energy policies?
- What are the key policy levers to drive an inclusive and gender equitable energy transition?
- What are best practice examples of gender inclusive approaches that have led to better outcomes for clean energy policies?
- How can governments and development partners exploit the job creation potential of clean energy transitions to enhance gender parity in the labour force?
- Which key issues related to the informal economy should be taken into consideration when gender mainstreaming clean energy transition policies?
Other speakers included:
- Mary Burce Warlick, Deputy Executive Director, International Energy Agency (opening remarks)
- Dr Brian Motherway, Head of the Energy Efficiency Division, IEA (moderator)
- Sheila Oparaocha, Director, ENERGIA Network
- Sjarah Soede, Deputy Director Inclusive Green Growth Department, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, The Netherlands
- Cherop Soy, Analyst, Camco; Gender Thematic Focal Point at SDG7 Youth Constituency
- Mini Govindan, Senior Fellow, TERI