To advance the role of women as agents of change in the energy transition, IFC’s Women in Renewable Energy in Africa Network (W-REA) in partnership with Energy2Equal and the Global Women’s Network for the Energy Transition (GWNET), is launching the second cohort of a mentoring program for women professionals working in renewable energy in sub-Saharan Africa.
The Women in Renewable Energy in Africa mentoring program aims to address the gender gap in the renewable energy sector and advance the careers of mid-career women working in the energy transition, with the specific goals to:
- Increase women’s representation at managerial and decision-making levels, and ultimately advance the pace of the energy transition.
- Support women to position themselves for leadership roles.
- Support participants to develop concrete career goals, which they can strategically work towards.
- Encourage networking to foster access to opportunities in the sector.
The application criteria for mentees are as follows:
- Can be an African woman working in supervisory positions or middle management (including interns).
- Can be a young African female researcher undertaking their PhD or post-doctoral research in a field related to the renewable energy sector.
- Can be an African woman entrepreneur in renewable energy who has also worked in senior positions as an employee in renewable energy.
- Mandatory to become a member of the WREA network after selection, if they are not a member already
The mentoring program is designed around the following key program parameters:
- 9-month program
- Comprehensive knowledge-transfer components
- Networking and peer-to-peer exchange
If you fulfil the application criteria and are interested in applying as a participant, please fill in this application form.
The programme is also seeking senior professionals working in the energy sector to serve as mentors and support participants’ professional and personal development. If you are interested in volunteering as a mentor kindly fill in the Mentor Datasheet. The mentorship involves approx. 1 – 1.5 hours of engagement per month. The mentee-mentor pairing process will be based on how closely the goals of the mentee match the skills and experience of the mentor.
Kindly note that the programme will be carried out in English and professional working proficiency is required.
The deadline for applications is Thursday 20th April 2023.
Please email questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.